Club Lead Sponsor - KJ Smith Solicitors
1st Team Polo Shirt Sponsor - Red Rose Indian Cuisine
1st team tracksuit sponsor - Richard Lloyd Funeral Services
Programme Printers - Advantage Copying Services Ltd
Mon 26
Didcot Town Development
1st Team
B Walton (13'), D Harris (15'), R MacDonald (85')
First team on the receiving end of back to back defeats

First team on the receiving end of back to back defeats

By Chris Burnett
Share via

United fail to score for the first time this season

On a sweltering hot bank holiday, Woodley headed to a Didcot side who had started well, winning three out of their first four games.

United started the match well, bossing the opening stages. A David Stevens corner was missed by the Town keeper presenting both Woodley centre backs opportunities at goal. The first saw a Conor Clarke effort blocked; the ball then broke to captain Luke Axton-Hall who hooked over from close range.

The game’s next chance fell to Max Laschok who had a frustrating afternoon playing up front with little support. Showing determination, he chased down a Didcot defender, won possession and forced the keeper to save at his near post.

Laschok had a further chance on ten minutes when he latched onto a fine Harry Hawkins pass. Testing Sam Eeles in the home goal, the Town keeper gathered the loose ball ahead of Harry Swabey.

The away team were left to rue these opportunities as Didcot went on the offensive. Ross MacDonald was desperately unlucky to see his free kick slam off the inside of the left post before Bradley Walton got the game’s first goal, cutting in from the right and finding the left corner from just inside the box.

Fifteen minutes in saw Town double their advantage. A left wing cross wasn’t cleared, allowing Daryl Harris to beat Adam Thomson in the United goal with a low shot into the right corner.

Looking for a response, a Stevens free kick picked out Laschok at the back post. Drilling the ball back across goal to Sam Wood; the midfielder had his effort saved.

A quiet spell followed with neither team able to string three passes together and a much needed drinks break.

When play resumed Stevens had a half volley saved whilst Harris failed to hit the target on two separate occasions when well placed.

HT Didcot Town Development 2-0 Woodley United

The second period started with a couple of half chances for Laschok. The first saw him unable to get his shot away after a good run before the forward just missed to the right after a Sam Guze pass.

Further opportunities fell to Hawkins then Swabey. The former had his shot blocked whilst the latter missed the target following a nice pass from man of the match Clarke.

Woodley made a double change on sixty two minutes. Stevens and Wood made way for Toby Briggs and Ben Purcell who almost instantly had a shot saved.

It took till the seventieth minute for the hosts to create anything of note. Walton had an effort saved by Thomson after a long ball before substitute Jack Hollister was off target from the right of the box.

United made their final change with fifteen minutes to go when Joe Sissons replaced Swabey. This saw Freddie Barron move into a more advanced role and Sissons take over at right back.

Didcot ended the game strongly. Thomson kept out a MacDonald strike but could do nothing about the header from the same player that went into the left corner.

A frustrating afternoon ended with Woodley contesting the last few minutes with ten men after Purcell went off with a nasty looking injury.

FT Didcot Town Development 3-0 Woodley United

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 26, Aug 2019