Club Lead Sponsor - KJ Smith Solicitors
1st Team Polo Shirt Sponsor - Red Rose Indian Cuisine
1st team tracksuit sponsor - Richard Lloyd Funeral Services
Programme Printers - Advantage Copying Services Ltd
Tue 20
Abingdon United
1st Team
H Horton (18'), (82')
S Guze (51')
Woodley come away from Oxford empty handed

Woodley come away from Oxford empty handed

By Chris Burnett
Share via

Despite dominating much of the second half United on wrong end of 2-1 scoreline

After a late winner in their last league match and then taking Hellenic Premier side Windsor to penalties at the weekend, Woodley went into their midweek fixture with recently relegated Abingdon United looking to make it six points from nine.

The opening stages saw the home side have the better of the play. A Charlie Bateman effort from long range went over before Woodley centre back Joe Sissons recovered from a miss-kick to block a Henry Horton strike.

Ten minutes in saw a good spell of United possession end with Toby Briggs unable to direct his header goalwards.

Abingdon took the lead on eighteen minutes when a deep free kick found Horton on the left of the box. His low shot beat Woodley keeper Adam Thomson.

Midway through the half saw both teams trade chances. A Sam Guze cut back found Briggs who had his well struck effort blocked, whilst Thomson did very well to tip a Bateman shot onto the bar.

United winger Teddy Thomas had the visitors’ first shot on target when he forced a save in the bottom left corner from Abingdon stopper Daniel Savin before Harry Hawkins took a slight knock in the process of shooting from the edge of the box.

The final chance of the half saw a let-off for Woodley when a right wing corner found unmarked Harry Firkin who headed wide.

HT Abingdon United 1-0 Woodley United

Moments after the restart, Thomson pulled off a very good save to keep out a Bateman effort from a tight angle on the left.

The save seemed to spark United into life, as they went on to dominate large parts of the game. Freddie Barron dragged a half chance wide whilst Guze fired a shot straight at Savin.

It was one apiece on fifty one minutes when Guze converted after Barron had headed on a free kick.

Woodley were now playing with real confidence. A good run and cross from left back Pele Hagger ended with a defender getting to the ball ahead of Briggs who couldn’t get his shot away. The following corner saw Briggs being denied point blank by an excellent save.

A really good spell ended with Guze being bundled over in the box but no penalty given.

At the other end, a couple of quick fire chances saw substitute Zachary Field missing from twenty yards before testing Thomson from slightly further out.

The game was getting really stretched with both teams throwing bodies forward. A fine United move involving Guze and Thomas ended with the latter’s low cross to Briggs being slid away by a defender who prevented the forward having an open goal to shoot at.

With thirteen minutes to go, the visitors made a change when captain Adam Barnard made way for Max Lashcok.

Five minutes after the change, Abingdon retook the lead and once again it came from a free kick. Horton got his second of the game when his looping header beat Thomson.

Moments later, Laschok missed to the left from the right whilst a further change saw David Stevens replace Barron.

With Woodley throwing men forward, Hagger did brilliantly to thwart a two on two counter attack with an excellent tackle.

A final change was made with a minute to go when Conor Clarke came on for Briggs who had put in a real shift. This saw Jon Malone move into midfield and Clarke play at right back.

Despite six minutes of injury time, United couldn’t get the equaliser their second half showing merited.

FT Abingdon United 2-1 Woodley United

Share via

Match details

Match date

Tue 20, Aug 2019