Club Lead Sponsor - KJ Smith Solicitors
1st Team Polo Shirt Sponsor - Red Rose Indian Cuisine
1st team tracksuit sponsor - Richard Lloyd Funeral Services
Programme Printers - Advantage Copying Services Ltd
Mon 12
1st Team
Marlow United
T Thomas (15'), M Laschok (22'), J Malone (72' Pen), J Sissons (90')
United secure first league win in dramatic fashion

United secure first league win in dramatic fashion

By Mark Rozzier
Share via

Seven different goalscorers and a 90th minute winner as United twice come from behind.

Woodley won their first league match of the new season, against promoted Marlow United, in dramatic style in a match that had seven goal scorers and saw the home team twice come from behind and score the winner in the ninetieth minute.

The first half was an end to end affair with both teams forging opportunities before Chris Hurst opened the scoring for the visitors in the tenth minute in controversial fashion with the home defence thinking the ball had stuck Hurst’s arm before he fired home from close range.

The hosts responded with Max Laschok’s pace causing problems and it was no surprise that five minutes later Woodley were level when Teddy Thomas reacted first to a deflected cross.

Laschok gave Woodley the lead in the twenty second minute when he outsprinted the visitors defence to steer his shot past Alex Partridge. However, the lead was short lived as a Marlow cross from the right to the far post was headed home by Jean-Claude Ettenne.

With Laschok continuing to be a threat he won a number of free kicks but was forced to leave the field with an injury five minutes before the break which saw Miguel Camacho make his Woodley debut. Marlow took the lead a few minutes before the break when a low cross from the right was driven into the net from the edge of the penalty area by Charlie Bull.

The second half was a quieter affair with neither team creating chances in first twenty minutes, However, Woodley were gradually creating a threat with their running at the back four. Camacho was dangerous but it was Freddie Barron’s run into the penalty area which resulted in a penalty kick that man of the match Jon Malone converted to level the scores with eighteen minutes remaining.

An immediate double substitution saw another debutant Bailey Hill and Dave Stevens enter the game as Woodley started to exert pressure on the visitors and were rewarded as the game entered stoppage time with centre back Joe Sissons heading his first goal for the team from a Stevens corner to secure the comeback.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Mon 12, Aug 2019