Club Lead Sponsor - KJ Smith Solicitors
1st Team Polo Shirt Sponsor - Red Rose Indian Cuisine
1st team tracksuit sponsor - Richard Lloyd Funeral Services
Programme Printers - Advantage Copying Services Ltd
Tue 06
1st Team
D Sharp (72'), J Thomas (86')
S Guze (36'), M Laschok (69'), H Swabey (79'), Langley (17' OG)
United start 19/20 campaign with 4-2 win at Langley

United start 19/20 campaign with 4-2 win at Langley

By Chris Burnett
Share via

Two goals in each half see Woodley into next round of Challenge Cup

United were able to take their excellent pre-season form that saw them win four and draw one into their first competitive fixture on Tuesday evening.

After scoring freely in the friendlies the first shot of the season fell to Max Laschok who missed to the right from eighteen yards before a powerful Toby Briggs strike was blocked by a defender.

The home side, who played in Division Two East last season, had to wait till the fifteenth minute for their first chance. Kamil Zielinski couldn't test Woodley debutant Adam Thomson missing to the left.

With seventeen minutes gone United took the lead. Sam Guze's pass found Laschok who fired a shot off the left post; the ball ricocheted back and went in off an unfortunate Langley player.

Woodley were playing some decent football with the front three of Briggs, Laschok and Ben Anderson all involved. The former had another shot, this time missing to the left.

Thomson was called into action on the half hour doing well to keep out a Jahdd Thomas effort that went through a sea of bodies after the lively winger had cut in from the right.

Despite it being the first game of the campaign you will be hard pressed to find a more coolly taken goal all season than United's second. After being put through by Anderson, Guze completely fooled the keeper who committed to his left, presenting the whole of the left of the goal free for the Woodley midfielder to score into.

A couple of minutes before the break the hosts had a great chance to pull one back when Thomas put Cheyenne Cripps in on goal. With just Thomson to beat the Langley man missed to the right from the left of the box.

HT Langley 0-2 Woodley United

The second period began with United captain Adam Barnard pinging a fantastic ball to Guze who bought it down superbly. After twisting and turning twenty yards from goal he was unable to get a shot away.

Langley were creating their fair share of chances. Zielinski had a shot well saved from Thomson diving to his left, sixty seconds after a forty yarder was kept out.

An hour gone two crosses from the left caused the home side problems. The first one saw a defender get to the ball before Laschok could get a shot away whilst the second ended with a Guze effort turned onto the post by the Langley keeper.

Woodley made their first change on sixty four minutes when Harry Swabey replaced Briggs.

Five minutes after the change United further increased their lead when a long kick by Thomson was headed onto Laschok who clinically netted from the left of the box.

Moments later Thomson did very well to keep out a Thomas strike before finally being beaten by an unstoppable strike by Daniel Sharp. Picking up the ball on the left the Langley man unleashed a strike off the angle of bar and post in the right corner.

Before kicking off Woodley made another change when youngster Conor Clarke made his maiden competitive appearance for the first team when he came on for Barnard. This saw right back Jon Malone move into midfield and Clarke take over at full back.

Despite the setback of conceding United kept their discipline and went looking to regain their three goal advantage. A low Guze cross found Laschok after a Swabey dummy; however the forward was denied a second as the keeper saved. Lascok was then desperately unlucky to see his shot hit both the right then left posts as the visitors cranked up the pressure.

With eleven minutes left Woodley sealed the win when a Swabey pass found Laschok. Going round the Langley keeper the angle was to tight for a shot so Lachok returned the pass allowing Swabey to score from fifteen yards.

Before the home side could kick off United made their final change when Anderson made way for Ben Purcell who was also making his competitive debut.

Woodley's final chance came courtesy of some individual brilliance from Guze. Beating multiple defenders on the edge of the box, his low shot went just wide of the left post.

Langley ended the game strongly. Zielinski had a well struck shot beaten out by Thomson whilst Chris Johnson narrowly missed from the left side of the box.

The final shot of an entertaining match saw the home side pull another one back when Thomas got a deserved goal with a crisp strike from twenty five yards in off the right post.

FT Langley 2-4 Woodley United

Share via

Match details

Match date

Tue 06, Aug 2019




Note: This game is a Hellenic Bluefin Sports Challenge cup 1st round tie.