Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Woodley United Football Club app


1st Team - Match centre

Woodley United Football Club
Chalvey Sports
H Swabey (72'), T Thomas (79')
Full time
B Taylor (39')
Sat 12 Jan 15:00 - Cup Attendance 36

Woodley win second Cup game by 2-1 scoreline in the space of a week


Ed Thomas gets winner as United maintain winning start to the year

Woodley’s first Saturday fixture of 2019 saw them beat Chalvey Sports for the second time this season and in the process book themselves a place in the third round of the Bluefin Sports (UHL) Supplementary Cup.

The hosts started the match playing 3-4-1-2 and had the better of the first ten minutes with Pablo Fernandez shooting over, then left wing back Pele Hagger having an effort blocked into the path of Fernadez who missed to the right.

Chalvey then got a foothold on the game, going on to dominate the majority of the first half. Bryan Taylor had their first shot, seeing it blocked by Harry Swabey, whilst Paolo Cicero failed to hit the target from distance.

Twenty minutes in, the visitors almost went in front when Aydn Coomber somehow failed to get on the end of a great left wing cross from Taylor, before United keeper Tom Bryant made his first save of the afternoon tipping over after a free kick was knocked goalwards.

The pressure continued as Woodley were struggling to get out of their own half; Jason Marney had a shot blocked following a left wing cut back. Just past the half hour, Chalvey went close to opening the scoring when an unmarked Taylor clipped the outside of the post from the right side of the box.

Bryant’s goal was under siege. A superb save by his legs and a goal line clearance only delayed the inevitable which came on thirty nine minutes albeit in fortunate circumstances. With the ball rolling out for a goal kick, Swabey and Taylor had a coming together that the ref deemed enough to award a penalty. Taylor took it and beat Bryant with a strike into the right corner.

Falling behind woke United. Adam Barnard, who was captaining the side, had a well struck shot blocked whilst some fine work by Freddie Barron on the right wing, saw him beat several players before teeing up Harrison Moore who forced Kieron Hudson into a routine save.

The final chance of the half fell to Barnard who couldn’t test Hudson with his free kick after a foul on Fernandez.

HT Woodley United 0-1 Chalvey Sports

Moments after the restart the away side were presented with a great chance to double their lead when Jamie Earis placed wide whilst in a good position.

Woodley then got a real grip on the game, dominating possession and creating several decent chances.

Hagger shot well over, whilst Swabey missed to the left after a Fernandez free kick was cleared to him on the edge of the box.

Just before the hour saw a double United substitution and a change of formation. Moore and Ryan Alexander made way for Ed Thomas and Harry Hawkins. Thomas lined up on one wing with Max Laschok, who had started the game up top, the other side of central striker Leon Mannion. Hawkins anchored the midfield alongside Barnard with Fernadez the most advanced of the midfield three.

Chalvey sub Kyran Quelch had a shot blocked with minor appeals for handball before Woodley made their final change on sixty six minutes when Chace Jewell replaced Hagger, making up a back four of Freddie Barron at right back, Jewell at left back and Richard Thomas and Swabey in the middle.

With twenty minutes to go United forged their best chance so far, started by good hold up play by Laschok. Passing to Hawkins his low cross found Mannion who prodded over from close range.

The equaliser did come two minutes later started by a Barnard free kick on the left. The ball fell to Richard Thomas who was denied a goal by a brilliant block; the ball broke to Swabey who got his first for the club burying from eight yards.

Seven minutes later Woodley went ahead and once again it came from a Barnard free kick. His delivery was headed back across goal by Mannion to Ed Thomas who fired into the top right corner. Great finish.

The final ten minutes didn’t see either keeper tested. Jewell found Ed Thomas who cut in from the left before seeing his shot blocked whilst the only chance of note for Chalvey saw a Taylor free kick go miles over.

FT Woodley United 2-1 Chalvey Sports

Key moments

Goal Bryan Taylor scores for Chalvey Sports
Goal Harry Swabey scores for Woodley United Football Club
Goal Teddy Thomas scores for Woodley United Football Club


View 0 new events
79:00 Goal 2 - 1
Teddy Thomas scores for Woodley United Football Club
72:00 Goal 1 - 1
Harry Swabey scores for Woodley United Football Club
66:00 Sub Off
Pele Hagger is substituted off for Woodley United Football Club
66:00 Sub On
Chace Jewell is substituted on for Woodley United Football Club
59:00 Sub Off
Ryan Alexander is substituted off for Woodley United Football Club
59:00 Sub On
Teddy Thomas is substituted on for Woodley United Football Club
59:00 Sub Off
Harrison Moore is substituted off for Woodley United Football Club
59:00 Sub On
Harry Hawkins is substituted on for Woodley United Football Club
End of period 1
39:00 Goal 0 - 1
Bryan Taylor scores for Chalvey Sports
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Woodley United Football Club
  • Chalvey Sports
  • 0
  • Bryan Taylor Goal 39:00'
  • Ryan Alexander Sub Off 59:00'
  • Teddy Thomas Sub On 59:00'
  • Harrison Moore Sub Off 59:00'
  • Harry Hawkins Sub On 59:00'
  • Pele Hagger Sub Off 66:00'
  • Chace Jewell Sub On 66:00'
  • Harry Swabey Goal 72:00'
  • Teddy Thomas Goal 79:00'

Team selection

Bryant, Tom Bryant, Tom
Alexander, Ryan Alexander, Ryan
Thomas, Richard Thomas, Richard
Swabey, Harry Swabey, Harry
Barron, Freddie Barron, Freddie
Hagger, Pele Hagger, Pele
Barnard, Adam Barnard, Adam
Moore, Harrison Moore, Harrison
Fernandez, Pablo Fernandez, Pablo
Mannion, Leon Mannion, Leon
Laschok, Max Laschok, Max
Chalvey Sports
  • 1.
  • 2.
  • 3.
  • 4.
  • 5.
  • 6.
  • 7.
  • 8.
  • 9.
  • 10.
  • 11. Bryan Taylor


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors