Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Woodley United Football Club app


1st Team - Match centre

Woodley United Football Club
G Smith (105')
Full time
Fri 6 Oct 19:45 - Cup

First team suffer more cup heartache

After no goals in ninety minutes Binfield settle game in extra time

Woodley's bad run in cup competitions this season continued on Friday evening as they exited the Bluefin Sports (UHL) Challenge Cup at the first hurdle. A Binfield goal in extra time meant the hosts progressed to round two; however the result didn't represent the balance of play, especially the first ninety minutes, as United dominated, playing some really good football and creating numerous chances.

The game started with both sides trading shots. James Knight had a shot from the edge of the box hit a Woodley body taking all the power out of the effort before a Carl Prestidge touch to Jake Nicholls saw the latter miss to the left for the away side.

Prestidge started the game really well. Skinning his marker, the winger was crudely pulled back resulting in a caution for left back Charley Tuttle.

United had a let off on fifteen minutes when Binfield skipper Knight hit the inside of the left post with a crisp shot from twenty yards.

Midway through the half saw a really nice move by Woodley, the first of many over the course of the match. Receiving the ball on the right, Greg Beckett rolled in Jaydyn Englefield: after a mazy run the winger teed up Prestidge who fired over.

Englefield was at the heart of the next attack when he received a pass from Joe Barley. Racing through, he was eventually forced wide allowing Binfield to regain possession.

More chances for United; Beckett combined with Danny Horscroft, resulting in the former putting a good opportunity over the bar.

HT Binfield 0-0 Woodley United

Before kicking off, Woodley made a change when Owen Davies replaced Englefield.

Horscroft had the game's first chance after the restart when he tested Henry Craven in the home goal with a low effort.

Binfield then had their best spell of the match thus far. A brilliant left wing cross by Tuttle found Will Shaw unmarked at the back post; three yards from goal he somehow put the ball wide. Another dangerous cross from the left was then punched clear by United keeper Alex Reed.

Two quick fire chances fell Beckett's way on the hour. First he had an effort blocked then had a shot saved by Craven. At the other end Ian Davies headed a Knight cross wide.

Despite playing some great football, Woodley were struggling with the final pass or straying offside. However on seventy minutes things clicked when Nicholls found Prestidge; cutting in from the left his low shot into the near corner was superbly kept out by Craven.

United then got even closer to opening the scoring when Prestidge and Beckett combined to set up Owen Davies; from eight yards out the substitute had his shot brilliantly blocked by a Binfield player on the goal line.

With fifteen minutes left, a fantastic run by centre back Idris Kamara ended with his cross being cut out. Picking up the ball on the half way line, the Woodley captain shrugged off a challenge got to the byline only to see his low pass to Davies intercepted.

United made their penultimate change with thirteen minutes left when Prestidge made way for Marvin Hinds.

The final chances in normal time went Woodley's way. A deep free kick was headed back across goal by Michael Porter to Horscroft who couldn't generate much power in his header allowing a routine save. Porter then had a header saved following a Nicholls free kick.

FT Binfield 0-0 Woodley United

If Woodley were the better team in ninety minutes, it was Binfield who had the better of extra time.

A left wing cross for the hosts found Ian Davies with his back to goal; turning on the ball his shot was blocked for a corner.

Binfield took the lead minutes later when ex-United captain Gary Smith turned in a left wing cross from close range.

Before the second period of extra time started Woodley made their final change when Jake White came on for Barley.

The only shot on target in the final fifteen minutes went to Binfield; Jeff Brown saw his shot saved in the right corner by Reed before White saw his cross from the right flash across the Binfield goal.

Despite defeat, United can take a lot of positives from the game.

AET Binfield 1-0 Woodley United

Up your game with easyfundraising

Key moments

90:00 +15:00
Goal Gary Smith scores for Binfield


View 0 new events
90:00 +16:00 Sub On
Jake White is substituted on for Woodley United Football Club
90:00 +16:00 Sub Off
Joe Barley is substituted off for Woodley United Football Club
90:00 +15:00 Goal 1 - 0
Gary Smith scores for Binfield
77:00 Sub Off
Carl Prestidge is substituted off for Woodley United Football Club
77:00 Sub On
Marvin Hinds is substituted on for Woodley United Football Club
46:00 Sub Off
Jaydyn Englefield is substituted off for Woodley United Football Club
46:00 Sub On
Owen Davies is substituted on for Woodley United Football Club
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Binfield
  • Woodley United Football Club
  • 0
  • Jaydyn Englefield Sub Off 46:00'
  • Owen Davies Sub On 46:00'
  • Carl Prestidge Sub Off 77:00'
  • Marvin Hinds Sub On 77:00'
  • Gary Smith Goal 90:00 +15:00'
  • Joe Barley Sub Off 90:00 +16:00'
  • Jake White Sub On 90:00 +16:00'

Team selection

Reed, Alex Reed, Alex
Porter, Michael Porter, Michael
Barley, Joe Barley, Joe
Englefield, Jaydyn Englefield, Jaydyn
Kamara, Idris Kamara, Idris
Cooper, Mitch Cooper, Mitch
Nicholls, Jake Nicholls, Jake
Horscroft, Danny Horscroft, Danny
Prestidge, Carl Prestidge, Carl
Ledger, Ashley Ledger, Ashley
Beckett, Greg Beckett, Greg
  • 1.
  • 2.
  • 3.
  • 4.
  • 5. Gary Smith
  • 6.
  • 7.
  • 8.
  • 9.
  • 10.
  • 11.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors